Jan 2, 2012

New York Color

New York Color (N.Y.C.) is a drugstore makeup brand that is probably one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, you can get. I've read many positive reviews about their products so I went ahead and bought a few things from their line. I will be talking about their Smooth Skin Pressed Face Powder in Translucent, Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder in Pink Cheek Glow, Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in Black, and Liquid Eyeliner in Black.



Starting with the Smooth Skin Pressed Face Powder in Translucent. It works well with light skin to medium skin tones. It's not completely translucent, but when you blend it in, it makes your skin look and feel silky soft. This comes in a darker shade too. I really like the compact design too. It's not too big or small, has a mirror, and it's easy to open. I would definitely repurchase this. This is $2.99 USD on their website.


The Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder in Pink Cheek Glow goes on perfectly. In the picture above, it's swatched kind of heavy with a powder puff. Using a brush would be the best way to apply it. I really like the shade of pink it is. It's not a dark pink or a hot pink, which is nice on my skin. The feeling is similar to the Smooth Skin Face Powder. It blends easily as well. I don't like that it doesn't come with a brush to apply and that there's no space to put in a powder puff or a sponge. It doesn't close securely, but it stays closed in your makeup bag. This is $4.99 USD on their website.

The Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in Black is genuinely waterproof. I use Sephora's eye makeup remover, the one that is not waterproof, and I have to rub a decent amount to get it off. Although the black color is not a deep black, it's still nice for a softer look. This is $3.99 USD on their website.

The Liquid Eyeliner in Black is very black, like most liquid liners should be. It dries quickly and has good staying power, even after applying eye shadow semi vigorously. The brush doesn't make a super fine line, but it's a good thickness, as you can see from the swatch. I only use liquid liner to wing out my liner, not actually line my eyes. This is $2.99 USD on their website.

For the price, these are a great way to start off using make up. I'm really pleased with the quality for the buck with the N.Y.C. products so far. I've heard that their eye shadows are very pigmented so I will have to try that.

4 comments:

  1. those products look great, never tried their makeup but I have their nail polishes and they are great xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used the NYC Bronzer as well. Not bad as a starter bronzer to play around with to get the hang of before upgrading to more expensive bronzer. Great post!

    http://janemyalterego.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the Smooth Skin Pressed Powder give you pimples? I have sensitive skin so I am prone to small pimples like bumps. I want to try this product but not sure how my skin will handle it.

    would you recommend it?

    myminibag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have sensitive skin as well, and I have not gotten a new pimple or any breakout. All skin is different and will react in different ways. It's always safer to do a test patch. Luckily the pressed powder is pretty cheap compared to other brands so it's not that big of a loss to your wallet if it does go wonky.

    ReplyDelete